Migrating to WordPress with URL Rewriting

Recently I switched from using SubText to WordPress as my blog engine. The reason for the switch was to get access to all of the plug ins available, I could have added the functionality, but unfortunately I find myself a bit time starved as of late.

In order to prevent all of my old permalinks links from breaking, while moving from a /year/month/day/postname format to simply having postname as the url, I am using IIS7’s URL Rewriting Module. It turned out to be quite simple to do this, and here are the entries that change the requests to the new Url Scheme:

<rule name="Aspx" enabled="false" stopProcessing="true">
<match url="archive/[0-9][0-9][0-9][0-9]/[0-9][0-9]/[0-9][0-9]/([A-Za-z0-9-_.]+).aspx" />
<conditions logicalGrouping="MatchAny" />
<action type="Redirect" url="http://seanlynch.io/{R:1}" />
</rule>
<rule name="Rss" enabled="false" stopProcessing="true">
<match url="rss.aspx" />
<conditions logicalGrouping="MatchAny" />
<action type="Redirect" url="/feed" redirectType="Permanent" />
</rule>

This has been working well, the only issue that I have run into so far is that categories in subtext were marked with numbers by default, and google’s crawler is finding them as broken links. I haven’t decided how to handle these links yet.